Saturday, April 07, 2012

He Was Crucified, Dead, & Buried...

It's Saturday.  On Friday, after sham "trials," he was horribly tortured, mocked, shamed, and painfully executed.  At his side was another man undergoing the same execution, although not unjustly.  That guy's prayer near the end of his life is the core prayer of all believers: "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom."

Here's one of my favorite songs, "Thief" by Third Day.  Every time I hear this song, I'm taken back to a lonely windswept hill outside of Jerusalem a couple thousand years ago. And I always wonder where I, Mike Madaris, would've been were I present that day.  I'm pretty sure I would have been among the mockers, if not one of the thieves, or perhaps even Barabbas.  This video is Third Day performing "Thief" live.  Enjoy, and be humbled.

One more from the perspective of the thief.  This is Steven Curtis Chapman's "This is How Love Wins" from The Story CDs.  I love Steven's music & his story.  And I really love this song, as it applies the thief's perspective to all of us.  Haunting...and so very triumphant.  "In the presence of my King, I cannot fall upon my knees; I cannot carry you to your throne...you instead will carry me back home..."

And then there's another of my favorite songs, "It is Finished" by Petra.  Petra's music is significant to my own spiritual journey.  Good rock music that flows from a deep faith.  I saw them in concert twice, & they were just fantastic.  This song is just one of my many favorite Petra songs.  The link goes to the original with Greg Volz singing; when I saw Petra, John Schlitt was the singer; both are good, but they rocked a bit heavier with John.  Still, I like this version because it includes the lyrics.  Enjoy, and be humbled.

I'll close this one with a couple of quotes. 

First, one from my former pastor, Tony Merida: "For God so loved the world that He was silent when the Son asked for another way."

Second, this chill-bump inducer from Scotty Ward Smith's Twitter feed that captures what happened on Friday & Saturday of that first Easter week.  "His mother grieved, His friends scattered...but Heaven just started counting to three."

He was crucified, dead & buried.  He's not dead & buried any more.  He is risen!  (But that's getting ahead of ourselves a bit...)  Not "it is started"...but It. Is. Finished! 

Humbled by Good Friday,
bb

No comments: