Monday, January 18, 2010

Narcissism

--noun--
1. inordinate fascination with onself; excessive self-love; vanity
2. erotic gratification derived from admiration of one's own physical or mental attributes, being a normal condition at the infantile level of personality development

Synonyms:
self-centeredness, smugness, egocentrism.

Some examples to ponder:

My project at work is the one that's most important and crucial to the organization's success. I'm amazed that the others don't recognize this.

My part of the city/state/region/country/world is the only one that's worthy of me living in it. All of you lesser folk can live elsewhere in lesser regions of the planet.

My church is the only one doing things the right way with the right approach & the right worship style & the right theology. Anyone who truly loves Jesus will see this clearly. If you disagree with this, you're unsaved, demon-possessed, and/or just clueless.

My pastor is WAY cooler than your pastor. And as we all know, "cool" is what it's all about...

My team is morally pure, and is coached by and populated by people who are as well. Not only that, but *our* fans are also right & pure. Your team? Not so much.

My Christmas traditions are way better than yours, which are not only less cool, but are morally inferior. We do it correctly; if you differ, you're wrong.

My alma mater is the single best school in the entire world, and is the right choice for all people at all times. I can see that you weren't qualified to go to such an outstanding institution. Sorry for ya!

I, uniquely among all people, am capable of judging the spiritual worth of my own actions nd those of others. Especially yours.

The ministry I work within the church with is the one you and everyone else should work with. If you're NOT part of it, well, clearly you don't love Jesus like I do.

Why aren't you gifted and temperamented like me?

My testimony of how God graciously saved me is far cooler and more significant than yours of how He graciously saved you.

I love God far more than you do, because I'm a lot busier at church & in ministry than you.

He's quite impressed with me...as are you, I'm sure...

bb

p.s. - Jesus wept (John 11:35)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing. Sometimes things need to be put into perspective. ksp

Anonymous said...

I want to say something, but again, I am NOT at all gifted with written word. Things I say don't always come out or come across the way I want them to, even if I think about it before I do so. At any rate, I wanted to say:

No worries. Just glad you're back.

See? Not the wordsmith. :)
Christy