Monday, October 10, 2011

Time

Aldous Huxley said of time "Well, there seems to be plenty of it."  Aldous Huxley also took hallucinogenic drugs regularly.  Which probably explains how he was so very wrong on the issue of time's passage.

You see, a couple of weeks ago, I watched her draw her first breath about 2 feet away from where I was standing.  At that point, she took my breath away.  Not sure I've gotten it back yet.  A couple of days later, she was "Daddy's gull"...a little girl with blond hair who like reading and singing and watching Disney movies.
 
As of today, she's a 21-year-old lady.  (OK, she still likes to read & sing, and perhaps to watch a Disney flick now & then....)

She lives with 2 other ladies in a house across town.  She's in training to pursue a lifelong idea: cosmetology.  She's thoughtful and well-read.  Smarter than many...including me.  She loves people.  (Well, like her Dad, she loves some more than others...*smile*)  She loves the beach.  She loves to camp.  She loves a crowd.  She loves live music (including some of the same music I liked when I was her age! E.g., she recently saw Steely Dan in concert & loved it).  She's still absolutely gorgeous.  Smiles easily.  Laughs often.

She's my favorite 20-something lady on the entire globe.  My daughter Anne.

And Aldous Huxley was totally wrong.  There's not at all plenty of time.  It has flown by.

Happy Birthday, Anne!  I'm very proud of you, & love you very much!
Dad

No comments: