Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Sometimes others capture me better than I can capture myself...

...and this is one of those times. George MacDonald lived in the 1800s, and had a huge impact on C.S. Lewis, among others.

Here are some snippets from MacDonald's wonderful work "Diary of An Old Soul." Ever wonder how I feel about current things medical? And how I wish I were at all times? And how I try to be? And what I desire to say more often to my Lord? Here's a pretty good running start.

(excerpt starts)

But thou art making me, I thank thee, sire.
What thou hast done and doest thou know'st well,
And I will help thee:--gently in thy fire
I will lie burning; on thy potter's-wheel
I will whirl patient, though my brain should reel;
Thy grace shall be enough the grief to quell,
And growing strength perfect through weakness dire.

I have not knowledge, wisdom, insight, thought,
Nor understanding, fit to justify
Thee in thy work, O Perfect. Thou hast brought
Me up to this--and, lo! what thou hast wrought,
I cannot call it good. But I can cry--
"O enemy, the maker hath not done;
One day thou shalt behold, and from the sight wilt run."

The faith I will, aside is easily bent;
But of thy love, my God, one glimpse alone
Can make me absolutely confident--
With faith, hope, joy, in love responsive blent.
My soul then, in the vision mighty grown,
Its father and its fate securely known,
Falls on thy bosom with exultant moan.

(excerpt ends)

Good stuff, huh? I wish I were more of a poet... John Piper says there are some things so deep in our souls that only poetry can capture them properly. Anyway, I'd suggest grabbing a cup of coffee, setting aside a few minutes and reading the whole thing here. I just did exactly that, and this is a better morning because of it.

And btw, mine is not completely an "old soul" yet, thank you very much. *grins*

"O enemy, the maker hath not done;
One day thou shalt behold, and from the sight wilt run."

May it be so, Father. May it be so.
Selah,
the beach bum

No comments: