Wednesday, May 18, 2005

a full heart

the beach bum

My heart is full tonight--which means my tear ducts are too!--for several reasons.

First, another year is ending. Which means students moving on out of school and/or out of classes I teach. Geometry is fun. Coaching is fun. Worldview is really fun. But all of that pales for me when compared to connections made with students. I really do love them. (Note: if you've ever considered going into education, I highly recommend it for this reason!)

Second, experience (alright...old age) tells me what some of the obstacles are that my young friends are facing as they move into college and beyond. Obstacles they are not even aware of yet. How I wish I could shelter them just a tad longer from some of the harsh vagaries life will surely offer! But that would stunt growth. Painfully-acquired growth, but growth surely.

Third, my youngest nephew graduates Friday. But I've already written about that in this space.

Fourth, I'll get to hang w/ my brother this weekend. Much fun! And something that doesn't happen nearly often enough.

Fifth, I know this will be a "full-heart" weekend for Mom. Joy and loss all at once.

Sixth, this graduation means that my beloved son is now a senior. Which means, in just one year, he'll be one of the ones graduating. And probably moving out of my house. After I graduated from HS, I never lived @ Mom's again for more than a couple of months here & there when out of college. I am very excited for him. And I hate the thought of his moving out of my house.

I'll go ahead & put everyone on notice. I'm going to be a worthless, wimpy basket case all of this next year. I apologize in advance to all of my macho male friends, because I'm going to embarrass every one of you this next year. I've never been afraid to cry...and I've never faced anything as hard as this will be. Consider yourselves forewarned.

One friend & wife drove their son to college about 5 1/2 hours away. He said that his wife said about two words the entire way back home. Yeah, that'll be me.

It's my strong wish and prayer for all of this year's graduates that God grant each a long and successful, dream-achieving, difference-making, God-entranced life.

Bob Dylan expresses my wish for each HS graduate friend of mine. I'll close with his words because my tear ducts are flowing freely. I have always loved this song. Enjoy!

Forever Young
Bob Dylan

May God bless and keep you always,
May your wishes all come true,
May you always do for others
And let others do for you.
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung,
May you stay forever young,
Forever young, forever young,
May you stay forever young.

May you grow up to be righteous,
May you grow up to be true,
May you always know the truth
And see the lights surrounding you.
May you always be courageous,
Stand upright and be strong,
May you stay forever young,
Forever young, forever young,
May you stay forever young.

May your hands always be busy,
May your feet always be swift,
May you have a strong foundation
When the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful,
May your song always be sung,
May you stay forever young,
Forever young, forever young,
May you stay forever young.

Copyright © 1973 Ram's Horn Music

No comments: