Monday, March 21, 2011

Singing the Gospel to Myself

So, what does one think about when walking to M.D. Anderson for bloodwork & a P.E.T. scan? I'll answer for me: I was singing the two songs below. Please do NOT be impressed with my piety & righteousness. Remember in the previous post where I mentioned my fear? Yeah…singing these songs to myself was me dealing w/ my fear. As my beloved friend & pastor Tony Merida reminds us often, I was “preaching the Gospel to myself". Only in song form, which works very well (as Tony also says). Songs are theology that we can take home. Or into the waiting rooms & scan rooms & Dr. offices of MDA, whichever.

Actually, I was just singing the chorus of the first one over & over. I also sang what I could remember of the second one. The first one is one of Lisa's & my favorite hymns (just written a couple of years ago, btw). Incredible words, & yet another one that tells my own story. We sang it just this past Sunday in church (thanks Paul & choir & orchestra!). Read the words s l o w l y for they are incredibly rich. And VERY timely for me today. I 'spect I'll be singing it again tomorrow too.

ALL I HAVE IS CHRIST
I once was lost in darkest night
Yet thought I knew the way
The sin that promised joy and life
Had led me to the grave
I had no hope that You would own
A rebel to Your will
And if You had not loved me first
I would refuse You still

But as I ran my hell-bound race
Indifferent to the cost
You looked upon my helpless state
And led me to the cross
And I beheld God’s love displayed
You suffered in my place
You bore the wrath reserved for me
Now all I know is grace

Hallelujah! All I have is Christ
Hallelujah! Jesus is my life

Now, Lord, I would be Yours alone
And live so all might see
The strength to follow Your commands
Could never come from me
Oh Father, use my ransomed life
In any way You choose
And let my song forever be
My only boast is You

Hallelujah! All I have is Christ
Hallelujah! Jesus is my life

© 2008 Sovereign Grace Praise (BMI), by Jordan Kauflin

Here's a link to a video of the song from a conference a couple of years ago. 6 minutes long; enjoy! (I'll be the one singing along with you...*smile*)

This second one is a long-time fave of mine. Simple, yet powerful words, set to BEAUTIFUL music. In a remarkable "coincidence" (not), my Bible reading plan had me in Psalm 80 this morning. Psalm 80 has these words three times:

Restore us, O God of hosts; let your face shine, that we may be saved!

Again, a very timely word for me today. And that word took me once again to PCD's beautiful song. I wasn't in "the darkest night" but I definitely have been there inside of MDA, and many others were there today.

SHINE ON US– performed by Phillips, Craig, & Dean
Lord, let your light, Light of your face shine on us
Lord, let your light, Light of your face shine on us
That we may be saved; that we may have life
To find our way in the darkest night
Let your light shine on us

Lord let your grace, grace from your hand fall on us
Lord let your grace, grace from your hand fall on us
That we, may be saved; that we, may have life
To find our way in the darkest night
Let your grace fall on us

Lord let your love, love with no end come over us
Lord let your love, love with no end come over us
That we may be saved; That we, may have life
To find our way in the darkest night
Let your love come over us

And here's a link to a video of this one. (The video is time lapse images with the original song playing.) I just *love* how they add a voice of harmony on each of the verses.) Enjoy this one too! (Again, I'll be the one singing along.)

Please pray for us tomorrow. My appointment w/ Dr. Homsi is at 1:30. The clock...is..... already........slowing..........down.....(or so it seems).

Thanks SO MUCH for your prayers. As I told a friend today, I will never again downplay the significance of the phrase "praying for you." It is so very humbling to know that my family & I are being mentioned in the throneroom of Glory by so many of you.

Humbled, Thankful, & Hopeful,
Mike

No comments: