Monday, March 16, 2009

If I leave here tomorrow, would you still remember me?
Ronnie Van Zant & Lynrd Skynrd, “Freebird”

I’ll cut to the bottom line here. I’m dang tired of hearing about high school classmates dying. Goes with the territory, I s'pose, but I don't like it.

Last week, it was Connie, who was a classmate from early elementary school all the way through HS.

This past weekend, it was Steve, who was a couple of years older than I. We weren’t close friends, but we were in jazz band together one year. Steve played guitar & sang in the coolest rock band in the area in our HS days. Everybody wanted to be part of Myriah, including me. I got the next best thing though—I got to hang out with & befriend the guys in that group. Which made my 5-foot-nothing, insignificant self feel very big & bad & cool. I was better friends with Steve’s younger brother Jeff, who is a very good bass player (also part of Myriah), and who is a USM grad (jazz band, & everything!).

A brief candle; both ends burning. An endless mile; a bus wheel turning. A friend to share the lonesome times; a handshake and a sip of wine. So say it loud and let it ring: We are all a part of everything. The future, present and the past.
Fly on proud bird, you're free at last.
Charlie Daniels, written while enroute to Ronnie Van Zant’s funeral

It’s Jeff that’s been on my mind & in my prayers yesterday & today. He’s having to say the abrupt goodbye to a much-loved brother. Jeff was great fun to play music with, because (a) he is VERY good, and (b) he is a great guy who’s a lot of fun. I still remember him leading us in setting up the parts to the end of “Blackwater” by the Doobie Brothers on a bus trip the jazz band took. By the time we got home, we had it down. He, of course, took the Tom Johnson lead vocal; none of the rest of us could pull that off like he did.

Join me in lifting up my old friend Jeff in prayer as he mourns the sudden loss of his brother Steve, won’t you?

‘Cause I must be travelling on now, there’s too many places I’ve got to see.
Ronnie Van Zant & Lynrd Skynrd, “Freebird”

As their old bandmate Alan wrote on Jeff’s facebook page after quoting Freebird, we’ll always remember Steve. Quite fondly in my case. Which draws my heart toward Jeff in his grief. As I say, please join me in praying for Jeff.

Life’s short. Too short sometimes. Makes you long for the land of the eternal hello, where there’ll be no more pain, sorrow, death, car accidents, illnesses, & such, doesn’t it? Maranatha. Come, Lord Jesus.

Selah,
Mike

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

you know i am MOST ready for the eternal hello! so sorry to hear of more losses...
pressing through until we get to the other side!