Great, great visit w/ Dr. Mehran the surgeon this morning. Very encouraging. Here's the deal (this will be quick, since we're waiting on me finishing this one to hit the road for H'burg).
--He does *not* think this is a new metastasis. (remember yesterday? "no evidence of cancer anywhere else"?) This news is very huge...
--He says this is probably an "implantation." Meaning, a cell or two dropped off during the previous surgery and "implanted" @ the site. (This hot spot is at my 1st surgery site, but is *not* inside my lung this time)
--He said it *could* be merely a post-surgery inflamation(!). However, he assigned this a 20% probability, with the other 80% probability that it's an implanted melanoma.
--He recommended waiting 3 months & then re-scanning. If there's still activity @ the site--which he expects--we'll do surgery then. (late May) I quote: "it will be an easy procedure, an easy surgery." He will just extend the cut where the scar is and take the hot spot out (hence the post title "cut along the perforated line"). Again, I quote: "everything will be fine."
In summary, given evidence of more cancerous activity, this is very good news. Unfortunately for my students, I won't even have to miss any more classes for this one. *smile* Dr. Mehran is very confident and reassuring, and was especially so this morning.
Tentative schedule: P.E.T. scan Tues., May 26 (I actually do recognize & greet the now-familiar nurses & techs there..."how's your son doing in pharmacy school?"..."how's that baby?"...*smile*). Appt. w/ Dr. Mehran, Wed. May 27. surgery, Thurs. May 28.
Please see my description of my God in yesterday's post (points down) and note the verses from Isaiah.
Thanks so very much for your prayers & encouragement!!!
With much love and great hope,